Monday, November 27, 2006



















Food, wonderful food.

I was reading about a modern day Epicurean. He bills himself as the Chow Hound.

Imagine having a job that entails thinking about food, searching for food, ordering food, eating food, and then writing about all the proceedings.

One has to love food to stay with a job like that. Not just like food, but love food. One would have to think about food most of the time and be ready and willing and able to eat food at all times. There might be a sick day from time to time as there is in all employment.

After reading a description about what must be a typical day for the Chow Hound, I was sure I could not do his job.

When I plan to try some particularly good food, I want to be hungry. I want to have a ferocious appetite and be able to savor every molecule as it passes over my trembling palette. So to speak.

Wine tasters only taste the wine. Then they spit it out. Otherwise, they'd be drunk on the job.

Think about the number of four letter words in this post: food, chow, like, love, stay, most, time, sure, good, want, able, wine, over, plan, only, spit, well, many, grab.

This man is said to invite you to taste some extremely tempting and well-crafted food, but on the way, he stops at so many other places that grab his fancy that he never actually takes you to the place you were expecting to go.