Thursday, December 14, 2006




Speed dating. I haven't tried it yet, but from what I understand you get about ten minutes to decide whether you see any redeeming value in another human being and whether you ever want to see them again in this lifetime.

Yes, I'd like to see you again. That seems fair.

Are you accepting that? Are you just accepting that ten minutes is quality time and that you could decide if the prospective date had anything to offer you?

Well, what did you have in mind to find out? Some things are instantly apparent by looking. These are not the things I need to ask.

I want to know if you have clean socks and underwear on, and are they they gorgeous or plain? I don't have x-ray vision, you know. Do you mow your own grass or pay to have someone do it for you? Are mobsters after you for non-payment of any debts? Do you own a trick pony? Are you solvent? Would you like to spend this winter with me in the Keys, and if so, how do you want to spend it? Have you got a dependable car? If you could have a really expensive anything, would you want it and should you have it? If you were invisible, would I like your personality?

Are these questions too quirky?

Forget questions with answers like "I like to walk on the beach at sunset and hold hands" or "I like to roll naked on a sealskin rug in front of a roaring fire while I eat a banana split sundae".

Are lines like these going to reel you in for more?